Graeme Ferguson Memorial Park
The Graeme Ferguson Park is situated in Mason’s Cove, Tangier, Nova Scotia.
The interpretation panel was installed in 2003.
The Park was dedicated in 2004 to Graeme Kent Ferguson a valued member of the Historical Society.
The Park is located 90 Km east of Dartmouth on Highways 107 & 7. Follow the signage at Mason’s Point Road 0.4 km to the site in Tangier
(Click on images for a larger photo)
|The Prince Alfred Arch was erected by the Tangier Gold Mine Historical Society to commemorate the visit to the Tangier gold mines of His Royal Highness Prince Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, second son and fourth child of Queen Victoria.|
The October 28, 1861 edition of The Nova Scotian describes Prince Alfred’s visit:
The long-promised visit of His Royal Highness Prince Alfred to the Tangier mines came off on Saturday week; on which occasion the Prince was accompanied by their Excellencies the Earl of Mulgrave, Hon. Arthur Gordon, and Sir Alexander Milne, Major Cowell, &c. The distinguished party who had spent the previous day at Ship Harbour, landed at Mason’s Cove a few minutes after ten o’clock, where they were received by the Government Superintendent William Anderson, Esq., at the head of the miners, and a large number of persons, of both sexes–probably about five hundred–who had assembled to catch a glimpse of the son of their beloved Sovereign. An address of welcome was presented to His Royal Highness, on landing, which he verbally replied to; he then proceeded to view the mines of Tangier proper, Strawberry Hill, &c, including the tunnels at the latter place. The miners, to signify their gratification at the royal visit, had prepared a box of fine specimens of gold in its native quartz, which they tendered to the Prince, one of which he accepted. Shortly after, His Royal Highness and suite bid them farewell, and embarked on board the Nimble, which was at hand to convey them to the St. George, then riding at anchor near the entrance of Ship Harbour. The whole affair, we understand, went off well, the visitors and the visited being alike gratified with the proceedings of the day.
Prince Alfred Ernest Albert (1844-1900) was born at Windsor Castle on August 6, 1844. Always called “Affie” by his mother, Queen Victoria, he began studying at age 13 to enter the navy. He passed his exams for midshipman in August 1858 very creditably and was appointed to the Euryalus, a screw steam frigate with 50 guns. At sea Alfred was treated like any other sailor, but on land he received royal treatment. In July 1860 he visited the Cape, and in October 1861 he visited Tangier.
On the abdication of Otto, King of Greece, in 1862, the crown was offered to Prince Alfred, but the British government did not agree to the proposal. In 1865 he was created the Duke of Edinburgh and Earl of Ulster. The Prince remained in the navy and was promoted to rank of Captain in 1866 and appointed to the command of the Galatis. In 1867 he started from Plymouth for a voyage around the world and visited Australia and India where he was well received. While in Sydney at a picnic an attempt on his life was made by an Irishman named O’Farrell. In 1874 he married the Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna, only surviving daughter of Alexander II, Emperor of Russia and was given the honorary rank of a captain in the Russian navy.
Fond of music and an excellent violinist, Prince Alfred took a prominent part in establishing the Royal College of Music. An avid stamp collector, he was the first honorary president of the Royal Philatelic Society, and his collection became the basis for the royal collection.
Affie was a committed naval officer and in 1893 was made Admiral of the Fleet. He died July 30, 1900 of a heart attack.
For further information about Nova Scotia gold mines go to this site